“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”, said Bob Marley who was one of the pioneers of Reggae music. “Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life”, said Ludwig van Beethoven who was a great classical musician of all time. John Lenon who was the co-founder of the world-famous band “The Beatles’ was a pop musician whereas having won more than 5 Grammy awards, Taylor Swift is very much interested in country music. The two oscar award-winning AR Rahman is well known for integrating Indian classical music with electronic music.
Are you wondering what is the difference between all these types of music? Though there are a thousand kinds of music, in this article, you will come to know about the basics of some of the most popular musical genres.
- Jazz: A form of music that rooted from the west African culture in the late 19th century. Jazz can express many different emotions, from pain to sheer joy. Jazz musicians like to play their songs in their own distinct styles, so the same song can be sung differently.
- Pop: Pop music is the popular music that originated in its modern form in the United States and the United Kingdom during the mid-1950s which emerged with songs about youthful rebellion and teenage love. Styles of pop music also include rock music, electronic dance music and hip hop. It tends to change quite a lot so the description is quite flexible.
- Rock: A form of popular music that evolved from rock and roll and pop music during the mid and late 1960s. Rock has centred on the electric guitar, usually as part of a rock group with electric bass, drums, and one or more singers.
- EDM: Electronic Dance Music is the popular music intended for dancing to in clubs, typically having a repetitive beat and a synthesized backing track.
- Hip Hop: It also called rap music, is a music genre developed in the United States. The terms pairs the hip that means trendy or fashionable with the leaping movement hop. Hip hop music was both influenced by disco music as disco also emphasized the key role of the DJ in creating tracks and mixes for dancers like hip hop dance and breakdance.
- Heavy Metal: Heavy metal is a loud, aggressive style of rock music played with one or two guitars, a bass guitar and drums electronic keyboards are used. Heavy metal songs are loud and powerful-sounding and have strong rhythms that are repeated.
- Reggae: Reggae is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1960s. It quickly emerged as the country’s dominant music. The term also denotes the modern popular music of Jamaica.
- Country Music: A type of largely string-accompanied American popular music having roots in the folk music and cowboy music usually vocalized, generally simple in form and harmony, and typified by romantic, accompanied by acoustic or electric guitar, banjo, violin, and harmonica.
- Indian Classical: Indian classical music is one of the ancient musical traditions in the world. The two important genres of Indian classical music are Carnatic music (Southern India) and Hindustani music (Northern India).